31 Oct Turn Your Basement into a Brand New Space for Entertaining
When you think that you have maxed out all the space in your home; look down. An unfinished basement can provide the additional space you have been looking for! Basements offer lots of wasted space that is often overlooked and underutilized over the years. An unfinished basement is like a blank canvas that can be transformed into something completely new!
If you are looking to add a new playroom for the kids, an extra bedroom or an exciting new space for entertaining, a basement is the perfect bonus room in your home. If you have decided to transform your basement into something new; whether you are tackling the job yourself or hiring a professional, here are a few things to keep in mind from This Old House.com:
- Dress up the walls – Chair moldings and tall wainscot can give the space a cozy and homey vibe while saving the drywall from dings and dents.
- Be smart about storage – Built-in closets have plenty of room for coats, boots, games and other items. Positioned under a stairway, they can save space.
- Layer on lighting – Traditional wall sconces can add charm in a basement. Don’t be shy about adding plenty of lighting as basements can be dark. A dim basement is a real turnoff, so you’ll need more fixtures than other areas of the house.
- Channel natural light – Take every opportunity to brighten up closed-off rooms and utilize natural light (which can be scarce in a basement) as much as possible.
- Carpeting – Wall-to-wall carpet is a good choice to lessen sound in a play or entertaining area. It is also a good idea to choose synthetic fibers that resist mold and mildew.
Once the remodel is complete – the decorating is up to you. Add a flat screen television for movie nights; some comfortable chairs and couches for relaxing and accent the walls with your favorite art work. A bar can create an inviting space to congregate and a high table and chairs can create an appealing pub-like atmosphere! In most cases, you won’t need a full kitchen but you can get plenty of mileage from a mini refrigerator for beverages, a cabinet to hold snacks, and a microwave for heating food or making popcorn for movie nights. Keep a tray handy for stacking and transporting dirty dishes upstairs.
Most of all enjoy your brand new space! Whether you are having friends over on a weekend to watch football or play some games or the kids are just hanging out with their friends, a finished basement can give your family the extra entertaining space you are looking for! And keep in mind that a finished basement not only adds extra square footage to enjoy, it boosts the resale value of your home.
Unless you are an experienced carpenter or handyman, your best bet is to hire a professional to do the job. If you are looking for an experienced company that can turn your dark, dreary basement into something entirely new – contact Metco Remodeling. They offer quality craftsmanship and over 20 years of experience in the construction and remodeling industry. Call Metco at 631-376-1860 to get started on your basement refinishing today!